How to Become a Councillor

Where there is a vacancy on your local parish or town council this will be filled by election or by co-option. If an election is to be held, candidates will have to complete a Nomination Paper which has to be signed by two other electors of your parish. Nomination forms will be available from your Parish or Town Clerk but they can also be obtained from the Electoral Services teams at:

  • East Riding of Yorkshire Council, 01482 393312
  • North Lincolnshire Council, 01724 296245
  • North East Lincolnshire Council, 01472 324160.

If an election is not called and the vacancy is to be filled by co-option, the necessary application form and process can be obtained from the parish or town clerk.

Parish and town councils work towards improving their community by providing services at a local level. They are the first tier of local government and councillors have responsibility for making the decisions which help shape their communities. Please use this link to access a booklet called "All About Local Councils" which provides useful information about local councils and your eligibility to stand for the office of councillor.

You might also find the following publication to be useful: Electoral Commission guidance for candidates

If you are interested please contact the Clerk to your parish or town council.